Monday, June 23, 2008

The steeper trail? Sounds great!

As planned, Darcy and I headed over to Peterborough, NH this weekend to climb Pack Monadnock. When we arrived, the very friendly and helpful park representative recommended that we climb up the steep trail, because it has such nice views, and to take the easier trail down on the way back, for a cool down.


Great views? Steep climb? Why not?! It's great exercise with the reward of a feast for the eyes. What could be better than that? I think that my ease in climbing Rock Rimmon confused me into thinking I'm in great shape. As it turns out, I'm not.


The hike is about 3 miles, round trip. It was 82 degrees out, and I had a hat on and a backpack, both of which were generating a ridiculous amount of heat. My back and head were soaked by the time we were half way up. We took several breaks, and poor Darcy's face was as red as a beet.


We took turns taking pulls off my inhaler, as skinny minnie's flew past us. In our defense, we were the only phatties out there. Everyone else was in fantastic shape - seriously... *Everyone* we saw was fit as a fiddle. That must mean we will be soon too. ;-)


I'm not sure how long it took us, but I think it was about 2.5 hrs - not exactly record time, but it was 2.5 hrs of great exercise for us, and that's how I'm looking at it. We were so sore by the time we were done. While on the ride home, our sore muscles relaxed, and by the time we needed to vacate the vehicle, we were stiff!


As I mentioned last week, I HAD to take care of my lawn this weekend, so sore back and wet head (still), I mowed the lawn and washed the lawn chairs. After that, and about 5 bottles of water, we headed over to cupcake island with the girls. It was soooooooooo nice to be in the cool water, relaxing.


Yesterday, I was completely sore, and I didn't exercise. I was sore when I got up this AM, but three hours later, I'm not so bad. Tonight, if it's not raining, I'd like to climb Rock Rimmon twice. D and I need to build up our endurance for the longer weekend hikes, so that training starts today!


Over and out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, and better for Darcy. Like it or not that kid is in for a physical fitness overhaul, just be being married to you..lol. You both did great. I don't think you are suppossed to time your hiking, I just think you are suppossed to enjoy it...lol.

Alison... said...

great, Great GREAT job ladies!

I am very proud of you and next summer, you will be zipping up that mountain.

Next time you go there, you may want to try the less steep trail.

Just sayin

lanie said...

Just think of all those calories "out"! I can imagine how difficult it was-good for both of you for pushing forward. But you know about weekend warriors...! Hope you're both feeling good today!