Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Grass fed beef, organic dinner

Here is a picture of my organic dinner. That plate is not quite a full sized plate - I bought smaller plates to use when I was banded, so that I would psychologically feel as though I was eating more. The grass fed Delmonico steak was fantastic! It may be in my head, but this meal tasted much fresher than the food I usually eat.


That could be because it IS much fresher, or maybe I'm just projecting my expectations onto my palate, although Darcy agreed that it was fabulous and some of the best beef she's ever had in her life. (Did you know that some produce at your local supermarket may be as old as 10 months?? At that point, there would be virtually no nutritional value left. The wax they coat the produce with enables it to look fresh for nearly a year, when in fact it's been dying just as long!) The produce at the market I visited today was picked as late as last week and as early as yesterday.


When I sliced the zucchini and yellow squash, it looked so fresh, I almost ate it raw! The low sodium sea salt blend is very tasty as well. It looks kind of like Mrs. Dash. It does not look like salt when you poor it.

I have measured out 3.5 oz of steak, a half cup of zucchini and a quarter cup of whole grain rice pilaf. I read that grass fed beef is about 100 calories less per 6 oz steak than corn fed. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the nutrition information would be for the steak I bought. I would estimate my meal to have a total of 250 calories, 9 g fat, 2 g fiber, and 30 g protein. Not bad for a delicious meal! I wasn't able to finish my rice. It's so filling, but I try to get a whole grain in at each meal.

I'm looking forward to more organic meals in my future!

For breakfast tomorrow, I'll have one of the yogurts I bought today, with some Kashi high fiber cereal mixed in, and for lunch I'm going to try the ham and cheese.

2 comments:

Alison... said...

I'm now starving, thanks

;-)

Anonymous said...

If you show up tomorrow in tie dye and a headband I am heading for the hills....lol