Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Scottish Highlander cattle

My steak was reared at the Miles Smith Farm, in Louden, NH. If I buy my steak from them directly, I can save $4/lb! That is great news, because I love it!

As I learned from their web site, this particular breed is Scottish Highlander cattle. Highland Cattle are originally from Northern Scotland, and they are one of the oldest beef breeds. They have evolved to produce naturally lean and tender beef without hormones or growth stimulants. They used to be bred as the "King's Cattle," but I'm glad we all can have some now!

4 comments:

lanie said...

Love the A Market...there is a farmers market every summer, downtown, across from the library. It's all locally grown produce,mostly organic.Last year was on Thursday's, i'll ask Beth.

Kristen said...

Thanks! Let me know!

Alison... said...

it's very important to know exactly the type of cow and where it comes from when buying steak

not

stoop

making sure you get grass fed is one thing but this is ridiculous

Kristen said...

hahahaha - it's funny - aren't the cows so cute?!