Friday, June 6, 2008

Back on track - day 2

It feels good to be on track. It's a constant battle between work, school, social life, etc... Even with 9 months of practice, I could still slip out of my routine if I didn't pay attention. It wouldn't happen drastically - it would be gradual. I'd skip working out for a week, and then I'd find myself not eating as healthy of options... I probably wouldn't notice it in my weight right away, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Suddenly I'd realize that 2 or 3 weeks have gone by, and I haven't been working out or eating as well as I should. Now I'm afraid to step on the scale because I know I haven't been as good as I should be, and I start to bury my head in the sand. Before I know it, it's a few months later, I've gained half my weight back, and I'm depressed. Soon enough, I've gained it all back, plus some.

I know this story allllll too well. I've lived it every single time I've ever been on a weight loss program. I hope I've learned enough from my past mistakes to prevent this from happening again. The band is a wonderful tool, but there are still room for operator errors! :)

Today I took my parents to Rita Mae's for breakfast:


We just love this place, and they have the best breakfast food in town! My parents said it was the best breakfast they'd had as long as they could remember, and I'm not surprised. They take great care to buy the freshest ingredients, and they cook everything to order. I am always pleased with my experience there. I had my usual, as predicted: 2 eggs over easy with 1 slice of dry rye. My dad had 2 eggs over medium with hash browns, a grilled english muffin and corned beef hash. My mom had 2 eggs over medium with hash browns, sour dough bread and bacon. They never eat like that, and I don't think they'll even eat lunch today. They were full, but they cleaned their plates! Yum! :)

After that, the good sports that they are joined me for a work out. At breakfast, I told my Mom I was going to Pump...her up, and she looked at me with a blank stare:



Good ol' Hans and Franz. SNL used to be sooo funny...

Mom and Dad did free weights with me, and a number of machines as well. They did a great job, and they felt energized after. They were talking about joining the Y when they return to GA, and I hope they do! It will add years to their lives, or at least enjoyment to future years! Physical fitness is a free gift we should all give to ourselves.

LOL - I know that's wicked hokey, but it's so true. I feel like my physical fitness has given me a new life, and I want that for everyone I care about.

It doesn't appear to be clearing up, so our choices for the afternoon are narrowing down: art museum, movies, indoor mini golf (my dad is gagging at the thought), arcade, shopping (yeah, no), games.... We shall see!

2 comments:

Alison... said...

I can't believe you took Linda and Ray to the gym - LMAO... and I'm glad they're going to join one too.

Good job focusing on staying on track. I haven't been to the gym since Monday [bad girl], so this entry is a kick in my butt to make sure that I don't stray too far for too long!

I am going to do some yoga now and I am hitting the gym in the AM.

Anonymous said...

How much money are your parents leaving you in the will? I am surprised you did not ask them to scale a mountainin their free time...lol