Wednesday, June 11, 2008

ORGANIC FOOD$

I don't normally (ever) take a lunch break from work, but I'm working from home today, and I know I'll be working late tonight on my current project, so I decided to take a break and drive to an organic food store in Manchester - A Market. I called ahead, and they had grass fed red meat there, so I was on my way!

I know there are many varying opinions regarding the usefulness of organic foods, but don't we just know deep down that foods grown locally, with fewer pesticides, no growth hormones, antibiotics or chemicals would naturally be better for us? I know that it would be detrimental for huge corporations to admit that the food we buy at the grocery store is actually poisoning us, and as a result, I'm sure there are many experts willing to say that organic foods don't actually offer any benefit.

I'm just starting my research, but I decided I would try a few things that were organic. I already feel a difference! (In my wallet!)

I purchased the following items:
  • Herbal low sodium sea salt ($5.99)
  • 5 low fat yogurts ($.89 ea)
  • Turkey franks ($3.49)
  • .61 lbs Apricots ($3.04)
  • 1.5 lbs Zucchini ($4.49)
  • Kashi 7 grain pilaf ($3.29)
  • Dog biscuits ($3.99)
  • 7 slices of deli ham ($4.39)
  • 8 slices of provalone cheese ($4.29)
  • Nayonaise ($4.69)
  • 1/2 gallon milk ($4.69)
  • Tuna can ($1.29)
  • Teriyaki sauce ($4.99)
  • 1.24 lb Delmonico grass fed steak ($18.44)
  • 6 eggs ($2.69)

The whole trip cost $74.21, and I only left with two partially full bags. Oy!

Tonight, we are going to try the steak, zucchini and pilaf. It will be an entirely organic meal. I'm wondering how everything will taste...

There's something to be said about shopping at a store like that...it's smaller, and friendlier and it just feels healthier. I can't put my finger on what made it such a unique experience, but buying food that came in smaller packages with limited quantities and fewer options raised my opinion of the value of the food. Rather than seeing my bounty as limitless and generic, I understood that I was purchasing food from the earth that would eventually fuel my body. The massive grocery stores I usually shop in make me feel very removed from food, as well as thoughts of its' origin.

Organic food stores don't tend to have many low fat options at all. I'm easily able to stay within my 1000 calorie per day diet because I eat foods manufactured with so many chemicals to correct the taste or consistency issues, but if I'm going to eat real food that's chemical free, it may be a challenge to stay within the 1000 calorie per day range. What makes more sense, though? Eating whole foods that are good for me, and getting in a more normal caloric intake daily, or stuffing chemicals down my gullet every chance I get? I'm going to try to find a happy medium that will allow me to eat better foods, while still staying in the range I'm supposed to be in.

As I've said, I have a lot more research to do before I decide how I'm going to proceed. I am going to ask my professor if I can change my research paper topic to be the overall worth of organic foods. Going organic is a huge commitment, but if it makes me healthier with a lower risk for cancer, it's worth it. I also love the part about putting my money toward local farmers, rather than the military industrial complex. ;-)

1 comment:

Alison... said...

let me know how your organic dinner turns out!