Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Work life balance

This is turning out to be much harder than I had thought. It took a while for me to figure out how to make healthy eating work into my crazy work schedule, but I did it, and it's something I finally have "down." Exercise is proving to be much more difficult. Don't get me wrong, I'm committed to it, and I'm making it work, but it's making me feel more stressed out about work.

Between my busy work life, and my renewed committment to excercise and midterms and taxes and every day stuff like car things and paying bills and house cleaning and social plans, I feel like I have no room to breathe. I have overextended myself at work, which is usually just to the detriment of my home life, but now I don't have anywhere to cut into. As I get healthier physically, I refuse to let other areas of my life slide.

I don't think I have ever had my car inspected without first being pulled over and reminded by New Hampshire's finest. I have always procrastinated about all the "life" things, and then found myself in a bind because I backed myself up against a wall. Part of healthy living is being healthy and responsible in ALL areas of life - not just work and diet. So now, in addition to feeling the crunch of going through a busy time at work, and trying to fit exercise and school in, I'm also wanting to fit all the other things in that I let slide in the past.

I think what I need is to take some vacation time to just get caught up on all the stuff that takes forever. I need my oil changed, I need to call about some things that require me to be on hold forever, I need to refile my taxes from 2003 because for some reason MA thinks I lived there the whole year, when I actually lived in NH (yes, 2003), I need to sort through all the stuff I moved up to NH from my house in MA, since I am living with bins in both bedrooms currently, and I am not okay with that!, this exciting list goes on and on - lucky for you, I'll stop here, as you get the idea.

I think I found my own solution - taking a working "vacation" and from now on - living like a responsible adult, which may mean not taking on as much as work, and even giving up some of the things I have currently taken on.

Mom - aren't you proud?! ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me, can you do some projects for me?