Sunday, February 3, 2008

Breast Cancer Walk


I have always wanted to do the Breast Cancer Walk, but it was never an option for me because I wasn't able to. This year, I believe I am going to do it. I didn't realize that the 3 day walk and the Avon walk were separate. Here are my options:
1. Avon 2 day walk: 40 miles in 2 days (or 26.2 in 2 days for those unable to do 40), minimum fund raising goal $1800, in late May

2. Susan G. Komen 3 day walk: 60 miles in 3 days, minimum fund raising goal $2200, in August
Pros of Avon Walk:
  1. Slightly less money required to be raised. I'm not worried personally about raising the minimum, but Darcy would need to as well, as she has decided to join me, and we have invited Steph and Carolyn as well, so it may be easier to have everyone join in if there is slightly less money needed to be raised.
  2. It's only 2 days, and I don't know if I could be ready for a 3 day walk. I still have a ton of weight to lose.

Cons of Avon Walk:

  1. It's in May, and that gives us less time to prepare.

Pros of Susan G. Komen Walk:

  1. We would have until August to raise all that money.
  2. We would have until August to train.

Cons of Susan G. Komen Walk:

  1. It's 3 days long, and I have no idea if it would be realistic for me to plan to walk 60 miles in three days.
  2. The fund raising requirement is greater.

I have read the training guidelines, and it says these walks are geared for people who can already walk 3 miles at a time at a 3 mile an hour speed. If you are unable to do that, you may not be a good fit. As referenced in a previous post, when I was separated from my friends I had to walk 3 (or so) miles home (mainly up hill), and I did it in under an hour. However, I didn't have a choice about that.

Today I'm going to go to the gym and make sure I can do it again. The recommended training time is 24 weeks, and there's only 15 weeks before the 2 day walk. I think I may be leaning toward the 3 day walk, but I need to consult my team to see what they think.

Stay tuned, as I'll be hitting you up for donations soon. Save those pennies! ;-)

KC

This year, Darcy and I will be walking for Denise, our friend Nancy's partner. Denise has fought a brave and courageous fight against this terrible disease for many years, and now she is in the final stages of her life. The doctors do not anticipate that she will be with us for more than another week. While tremendous strides have been taken to fight breast cancer, we still have a lot more work to do. Please join me in offering your support through your thoughts and prayers to Nancy, Denise, and the rest of their families who are going through the hardest time of their lives right now.

No comments: