Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Denise


Denise Deatte
February 20, 1968 - February 21, 2008

Yesterday we attended the funeral for Nancy's partner Denise, who lost her life to breast cancer. She fought a very courageous fight. I only had the pleasure of meeting Denise once, but I found her to be a truly illuminating person. I was not surprised to hear friends and family speak one after the other about the profound affect she had on their lives and the ways in which she made this world, and each of their worlds, a much better place while she was alive.

We also heard a letter that Nancy wrote to Denise that was so moving and loving...for sentiments words are often unable to capture, Nancy was able to find those words in her time of deep sorrow.

Attending the funeral of a young person always makes me examine my life. I think about what kinds of things people would say about me when I die, I think about how every day should be lived to the fullest, and how I should be aware of the tremendous love I receive from my friends and family, and of course, the frailty of our lives on earth.

I hope my commitment to honoring my body and my overall health is one that will make my life richer. Life is a precious gift that we each receive. We are all able to choose the life we want to lead, and that choice makes the difference of whether we use our time wisely or if we squander it away.

Yesterday I learned that Denise used each day of her life to bring joy and love into the world. I hope I am making the choices that will enable me to do the same.

My thoughts and prayers are with Nancy and Denise's family during this extremely difficult time.

1 comment:

Alison... said...

That is a lovely tribute to Denise and thank you for making my bawl at work! eek.

You have always and still do live your life to the fullest and now you're living it to the fullest and you're being healthy. Good combo!