Sunday, February 10, 2008

Suit up

I started looking at suits today. I can't wait until I can finally dress the way I have always wanted to. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to afford to! I work in HR, and the joke is that all senior HR professionals buy all of their clothes at Talbots, as though it's standard HR issue.

I looked at Banana Republic, Niemon Marcus, Saks 5th Ave, and designer suit web sites, and I couldn't find anything I really liked. I do not have a traditional woman's frame, and I am most comfortable in the style and fit of men's clothing. Suits, however, do not work. I have always had to buy women's suits, and I don't think that's going to change. I am pretty picky about what I want, and I feel like after I've lost all this weight, I'm going to want to love the clothes I wear.

Finally I resigned myself to check out the Talbots site, and I found about 5 suits I actually liked. I can't believe it! What a stereotype I'm going to become! Thankfully, the suits I like are not the ones my colleagues wear. No offense to my colleagues! I just have a very different style... My colleagues are very well dressed. I hope that satisfies as a disclaimer in case any of them ever read this. ;-)

The suits are each about $400-$500. Yikes. I know I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy these, but that's going to hurt. My suits are usually under $150 now. I am a bargain shopper, so I will see what I find, but I should probably seriously consider start budgeting for a new wardrobe.

When I was 17, my dad promised me he'd buy me a whole new wardrobe if I lost the weight I had to lose and keep it off. I wonder if that offer still stands... LOL

KC

1 comment:

Kitty said...

I know that sticker price ($400-$500) is shocking but for a complete suit, good quality fabric & construction, in the style(s) you like...that price is not too bad...aside from the fact that you're used to paying much less. Another option would be a personal seamstress. However, being a seamstress myself, I can guarantee you a custom fitted suit would cost more than that. Hey, maybe your dad's offer DOES still stand. ; )