Friday, February 1, 2008

Hate for Whole Grain


I have always been a whole grain hater. In the past, I only ate white bread, white rice, white pasta, etc... The whole world was on a whole grain kick, and I resisted with vigor. I didn't care that it was heart healthy, and good for your digestive system, and prevents a million diseases...it was gross!

Now that I'm a healthy eater, I incorporate whole grains into my life regularly. I have gotten to the point where I don't mind whole grain pasta (but it's not the same as regular), and I tolerate the gross bread I eat that has seeds in it, and could possibly double as a straw hat, and the whole grain wraps I have found are not bad at all, but I draw the line at what I just experienced.

I made Steak and veggies for dinner the other night, with wheat pilaf as a side. I try to have protien, fruit or veggie, and a whole grain at each meal. This was the night I was starved for protein, so I had a hamburg snack at 4pm...well, I was too full from that to eat the dinner I made, so I had it for breakfast today. The steak and veggies were delish, but the wheat pilaf...wow.

Wheat pilaf is a fiber filled nod to the more familiar and tastier rice pilaf. Wheat pilaf does not have any rice; instead it is made with bulgar - a whole grain. It's basically, boiled whole grain with a few pieces of orzo. No wonder it has 8 grams of fiber per serving! It actually tasts similar to oatmeal, not what you would expect from a pilaf.

I was in the grocery store holding the wheat pilaf box in one hand and the whole grain brown rice pilaf in the other. The whole grain brown rice pilaf only had 2 grams of fiber, so I HAD to go with the wheat pilaf. Ew. Big mistake. I want you all to try it just to experience what I did.

Alas, I am not a quitter, so I am going to give wheat pilaf another try. This time, I'm going to make a chicken casserole with 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup and chicken, with the bottom layer wheat pilaf. I think that will work just fine. I wish I liked broccoli. That would be a good addition. That's okay, I can serve veggies on the side.

Wheatever.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are doing awesome! 81 lbs and counting. I am one of the pickiest eaters in the world so I understand how hard ome of these choices are for you. Unlike you, I would still opt for the crap. You make me proud!

TJ