Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Anemia

I had bloodwork done last week. My thyroid is fine, but apparently I'm severely anemic...again. This time, my iron level is lower than ever. I'm not sure why... I'm back on the iron supplements, twice the recommended dosage, and I have to start them tonight - on a full stomach. I have a ridiculously sensitive stomach, so I'm not looking forward to seeing what happens after I take iron on a carnation-instant-breakfast stomach. Should be fun. ;-)

I'm surprised I haven't been more fatigued, but what I think has happened is that because I've lost so much weight and I've been exercising, I have more energy than my non-anemic old self, so it's probably a wash. If I weren't severely anemic, I would probably be bouncing off the walls at this point! (Something for all of you to look forward to soon!)

My MD is giving the iron supplements 6 weeks to work, and if she doesn't see a marked improvement in that time, she's going to have to send me for extensive testing. Fun! Let's hope these puppies work! In the mean time, I am supposed to eat a lot of iron rich foods.

More on that soon...

KC

1 comment:

Alison... said...

eat a slab for steak for cry eye... even the doctor said so