Friday, February 1, 2008

Choking on the Chicken

Last night I brought dinner to my Grandmother's house. She loves the Lobster Boat in Litchfield, NH (also Merrimack and Nashua), and she wanted a lobster roll and onion rings. I'm not much of a seafood person, so I always get chicken fingers when we eat at the Lobster Boat. We haven't eaten there since I've started this process though. I looked at the menu, and everything was seafood except burgers or chicken fingers. I wasn't in the mood for a burger, and I knew the chicken fingers were only very lightly breaded with a small amount of flour, and I was only going to have a few, so that's what I ordered.

Normally, I dunk the chicken fingers in the tartar sauce, but I wanted to avoid the extra calories, so I ate them dry. Well dry they were! I really don't have much restriction yet from my band, so I don't have any limitations on what I can eat like most bandsters do (yet). The one thing that does apply to me, however, is that I cannot eat foods that are dry. They get stuck, and it's very painful.

As I was eating my chicken last night, it got stuck. When food gets stuck, it feels like there is a truck driving over your chest cavity. You don't know if you want to vomit or just die, but you definitely feel like you should be in the ER - even though you know deep down that it will pass. My dear Grandmother is such a worrier, and I knew she would freak out if I got sick in her bathroom, or if I let on that I was in pain. I sat calmly at the table trying to return non-verbal communications in response to her conversation so that she wouldn't know there was something very wrong. I thought about motioning that I forgot something in my car, so that I could work through this while not in front of her, but then I thought it would be rude to leave her in the middle of dinner.

As I was relaying this story to Alison, she said I would probably die before I would inconvenience someone or let them know I was in pain. LOL - I'm sure Darcy would disagree with that statement. (and my Mom) :)

After five minutes, it finally passed, and the color returned to my face. Hopefully I spared her the trauma of my experience. Moral of the story: use LOTS of tartar sauce with chicken fingers.

No!

Just kidding - avoid dry foods, and the healthier the better.

I ate 795 calories yesterday, and I missed the gym. I left her house, and I just barely got home in time for Lost (takes precedence of the gym -duh). I will go today.

I'm down another lb, so it's 81 total. 9 more to lose before my next fill. Wow - that would bring me to 90 lbs. Sweet!

KC

No comments: