Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Yup, they are animals


Most of us like to pretend our meat isn't really from an animal. The way it's packaged and cut and prepared gets it farther and farther away from it's origin, but the same is not exactly true with my locally grown grass fed friends. As you can see in the above picture, the meats are packaged with blood in plastic bags. These are not the neat and tidy Styrofoam cushioned pre-packaged meats you buy at the supermarket. These are fresh from the farm.
.
I'm not sure why, but I think it may be a good thing to be conscious of the foods we are eating. It's gross, but I'm not sure why. I am not a vegetarian, so that means I eat animals. I should embrace that fact and be thankful for the animal that gave of it's life, and I should ensure that I am eating meats that are from farms that respect their animals, and provide them with a full and healthy existence.
.
I should not bury my head in the sand, as I had done up until now, and ignore the practices of the slaughterhouses that mass produce and clone my food. It's good to have a higher level of consciousness surrounding the foods we eat, but it's a hard transition. I do think it will help me continue to make healthier choices.

2 comments:

Alison... said...

Yes, you are right!

I need to get my head out of the sand too

Anonymous said...

I am fine in the sand