Monday, September 8, 2008

The snowball is rolling...

As I've mentioned, we bought this house furnished, and this entertainment center was one of the pieces included. It was fairly expensive and it's great quality but it's not really my style. Also, I have a new project in mind, and I would need to remove this piece of furniture to accomplish it.

Now that I had such success with the garage cleaning, and felt the wonderful feeling of accomplishment and serenity at having organized one little piece of my life, combined with the fact that my new body allows me to do whatever I want, apparently, I have a laundry list of projects I want to take on now! Yes, my next "project" will be to re-organize the guest bedroom, but on a more exciting note, I have decided to construct a third bedroom.

The house has a decent sized master bedroom, with a perfectly appropriate sized guest bedroom, but the rest of the house is a giant open space. Other than the bathroom and guest bedroom downstairs, it is all wide open and open concept, and the same is true of the upstairs, with the exception of the master bedroom and master bath. The upstairs has a second living area with a balcony overlooking the living area on the first floor. It is a *fantastic* space for entertaining, but it's not very practical.

I do not need two giant living areas for us. I need a second shower (as the current one is in the master bath), and I need another bedroom. Both of those will help with the resale value, as well as add practicality while we are here. The best spot for the third bedroom will be in the upstairs living area. It would be a very small bedroom, but a small third is better than no third. I measured it, and if I split the space up, it would be a 13x8.5 bedroom, and a 13x7.5 living area.

I can sell the entertainment center on Craigslist and buy a flat screen tv to mount on the bedroom wall that I'll build, so that will save a ton of space. We can just hook our Wii up to the downstairs TV so that we'll have more space to move around, since 13x7.5 wouldn't be enough room. We currently have 2 couches and one big leather oversized chair in this area, and we would just get rid of one of the couches. I haven't built any framework in a house before, and I have never hung drywall, but I think I could manage both, especially with the help of my wonderful boys in the hood.

Bruno is one of my neighbors, and he is very ambitious. He has his own company that is successful, and he is constantly working on projects at his house. He does great work. Now that I have my life back, I would like to be more like Bruno, constantly working hard to upgrade my home and living spaces. It creates such a feeling of satisfaction.

Today for exercise, I plan to go kayaking and either hiking or biking. It's a beautiful day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is Cherrywood but hard to tell from the pic. I looked on Craigslsit. Entertainment centers range in price from $50 to $1200. I would say average is 3-400. I like your project idea. If you need help my friend Raul is awesome, cheap, and very nice.

Alison... said...

A third bedroom is a great idea, I have thought for a long time you should do that... you don't however need a freakikng flat screen tv for it... it won't be used - so don't buy it, it'll be a waste of money just like it was a waste of money the other 90 times you bought a tv for any bedroom in any house or apartment you have had.

Kristen said...

LOL - the flatscreen isn't for the bedroom, silly, it's for the remainder of the living area

i am not big on televisions in bedrooms - i'll probably sell the current boxy tv for very cheap on craigslist as well

Alison... said...

Did you sell it yet?