Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lots of updates!

Today has been a very busy day. It's 8pm, and I just got home from work a little bit ago. I still have more work to do, but I'm taking a moment to update you fine folks.




I had an MD appt to discuss my knee issues. After reviewing the xray results, she believes I have a torn meniscus, and I'll need arthroscopic surgery to fix it. I will be meeting with an orthopedic surgeon shortly. This is a bummer. If I have that surgery, I will need to avoid sports/most exercise involving my knee for 1-3 months. This is going to be a set back for my weight loss, but I'll get over it.

My MD was running late today, so I read through my chart - GOOD thing... remember my abdominal pain issues that had been "undetected" for months now? Yes, those symptoms that were consistent with gallstones and gallbladder disease? Apparently, I had two xrays (unrelated to my gallbladder) that already showed gallstones!

Yes, I took a picture of a page in my chart - what can I say - I'm Nixonesque. This was from April, as you can see from above! They found gallstones in April, and never mentioned it. I found a second one from July that found gallstones as well! I asked my MD about this, and I'm not exactly sure what the answer was, but after reviewing both of the results I shared with her, she said I will need to have my gallbladder removed.

So today was a twofer for me. I went in with one issue and left with TWO surgeries needed. That's a little crazy. My lap band surgeon does Cholecystectomies (aka gallbladder removal surgery), so I'm booking an appt with him. I'm also going to ask if he does liposuction, because while he's in there... ;-) Hey, why not?!



At my work, they always have a little gathering for birthdays with cake. I don't really go for sweets, and now that I'm eating healthy, I almost never ever eat sweets. Cake was never a big thing for me - when I was growing up, my Mom would make me brownie cakes or other alternatives. So today, for my birthday gathering, instead of doing the cake they always do, they put out a big veggie spread with dip and they had crackers and cheese too. I thought it was SO thoughtful of them to go to that trouble, and it really meant a lot to me.

2 comments:

Alison... said...

I can't believe you need 2 surgeries or that everyone involved seemed to miss the fact that you needed gall bladder surgery - ugh!

However, you will feel a lot better once both of them are out of the way, obviously...

It sucks though.

Anonymous said...

Can't they break up gallbladders with lazers. I think I remember reading that before.

I am sorry that you will need 2 surgeries. Although it might impede the speed of your weight loss, I am certain you will continue to head toward your goal.

A veggie platter for your birthday! Can you ever remember a time when you thought you would have liked that...lol