Tuesday, September 2, 2008

525,600 minutes

Today is kind of my one year anniversary of this blog. Feel free to send presents. LOL - J/K.

I say kind of because technically it was September 4th of 2007, but it was the day after Labor Day when it all began, and for 2008, that day is today. I was a month away from surgery, and I was starting my liquid diet. That was not fun, although the whole process was very exciting for me.

I knew that I was as fat as I was ever going to be, and that starting then, I would be taking steps to lose weight that I would keep off for life. My life was going to be changing dramatically, for the better. I felt hopeful.

One year later, I continue to feel hopeful. I'm in the home stretch of this journey. I still have a ways to go, and the last leg of the weight loss part of this journey will probably be the most difficult, but I'm not in a rush. I'm comfortable right now, and my weight no longer limits me from doing anything. What a change. I will be at goal soon enough.

I remember the first time I was able to cross my legs, or kneel comfortably, or tie my shoes while sitting down. I remember the first time I noticed the steering wheel that used to be pressed against was now 2 then 3 then 5 then 7 then 8 inches away from me! I remember when I noticed that my back didn't hurt walking long distances anymore, and that I was now a person who was able to hike! I remember getting on a bike for the first time in ages, and feeling so alive as I breezed down the hills.

I remember the first time I was able to buy an extra large sized shirt, and how normal I felt at the time. I remember when I finally fit into pants smaller than my dads, and then three sizes smaller. I remember the first time I noticed my mind transforming from that of a fat person to that of a healthier person. I noticed my instincts changing. I remember the first time I saw a picture of myself and I didn't recognize myself. I remember the first time I looked in a mirror and couldn't believe how narrow my shoulders were.

I remember the first time I was able to sit indian style in a chair or period! I remember the first time I felt comfortable having my picture taken, or seeing pictures of me that I had not staged! I remember the first time I was able to be comfortable in coach. I remember the first time I noticed that I had a lap!

I remember so many little things that have been so big to me, but most, I remember the transformation of feeling as though I had been freed from the prison of my body and I was now free to roam about the world.

This year has been amazing, and I have had many milestones, from losing 35 lbs the first month, to losing a small gymnast by early 2008, to a grown man (fit, but grown) this summer. I'm close to 160 lbs lost, and I'd like to get to 200 lbs lost eventually. I have had hiccups in the road, sicknesses, not the best planning, life, but the point is I know to keep plugging away. I'm not sprinting to the finish line. I am smelling the roses along the way because life doesn't start once you reach your goals. Life is enhanced by positive changes, certainly, but we can't wait until [insert hang up/goal/milestone/etc...] to start living.

Life is the stuff we do every day. I am going to try to keep making each day count.

5 comments:

Alison... said...

What a difference a year makes - so amazing - you're a different person and you've inspired not only myself but many others -

I'm so proud of you.

Kristen said...

Thank you, Ali!!!

Stephanie Carnes said...

Beautifully written - and beautifully lived. I am so proud of you and so grateful to see this transformation!

Kitty said...

Happy blog-iversary! Happy happy new you!! A lifetime of changes in one short year. AMAZING!!!! Congratulations on all you've achieved.

Anonymous said...

Kristen I thionk you summed that up very eloquently. You are a different person. I am so glad you are healthy, happy, and fit. Your right, you are almost at goal. What a great journey.