Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Barium goodness


I'm having some CT test done tomorrow, and I have to drink two of these first. I've had tests with barium before, and we do not get along. Barium makes me extremely queasy, and I've never had to drink 30 oz of it before. Gross! What's worse is that I'm not allowed to eat or drink anything 30 minutes prior to my first dose, which is this evening.
I don't mind not eating anything, but I can't imagine not having any water from tonight until noon tomorrow! I drink water and crystal light constantly! Also, I did some research online, and not every hospital restricts water consumption with this test. I'm going to call radiology in the AM and see if I can finagle a bagel and convince them to let me have a drink.
I was unaware of this, but apparently I'm supposed to wear comfortable clothing for the test. This is highly annoying as I need to have a suit on tomorrow, and I *know* that they'll put me in a johnny when I get there, but just in case, I'll have to go with something loose fitting and find a place to suit up between the hospital and my office. I should have just taken the day off. Apparently you can have a bad reaction to this kind of testing, so they may require that you stay 15-20 minutes after to ensure you are okay. Grrr....
I don't exactly remember what this test is for, but I believe it's related to my MD's concern over my anemia. I'm not sure why she's concerned. I've consistently gotten better over the past few months, and I am now at the very beginning end of the safe zone. Apparently, that still concerns her, so I guess I'm better off safe than sorry. I wouldn't want to cause my MD any anxiety... ;-) She is actually extremely sweet, and I think she may be more concerned about my health than my own mother is. (Just kidding, Mom!)
Wish me luck - I feel sick at the very thought of this whole process. I'm usually not a baby at all, but I have a ridiculously sensitive stomach, and I know that barium makes me get sick. I don't know how I'm going to chug 10 oz before bed tonight, 10 oz when I get up, and 10 oz on my way to the test. I'm going to stop thinking about it. That's what I'm going to do. :)

2 comments:

Kitty said...

ick...good luck!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! That is just gross.

You should have taken the day off.