Sunday, September 21, 2008

Why are you staring at me?

I was in a drug store yesterday, and there was a strange man in front of me in line at the register. He kept staring at me, and so I'd stare back to give him the hint that I knew he was staring at me, and he should stop. By the third time, I decided to say something.

"Why are you staring at me?" I asked.

He came up with some ridiculous excuse about not wanting to watch as he spent money, so he needed to find something else to look at, oddly not even attempting to deny the staring, and I was polite to him and he left.

The clerk at the register said she was glad I said something and she would have to, but most people wouldn't dream of it. Staring at someone is strange and rude and skeevy if you ask me.

In the past, I *never ever* would have confronted someone for staring at me. I would have been afraid of what their answer was! Now, I just don't care. I'm still a good 40 lbs overweight, which is still fat in the real world, and he could have said he was staring at me because I was fat (he was fatter), but I wouldn't have cared about that either. I just lost 160 lbs, and I'm going to lose 40 more, and I don't feel fat (usually), so it just wouldn't bother me.

I say what's on my mind more now, and I like that. A lot of times, fat people have to be overly nice or funny in order to get past the fat discrimination they face. I didn't realize I was doing that until now that I've stopped.

3 comments:

Alison... said...

Overly nice and funny? I know nothing of that behavior...

;-)

Glad you feel comfortable speaking up though, it's certainly a good thing to be able to do that when people act inappropriately!

Anonymous said...

Maybe he thought you were pretty!!

Kristen said...

LOL - I doubt that!