Monday, April 14, 2008

The right to choose


Yesterday when we got home from the beach, Darcy wanted to order Chicken Parm from a local delivery place. I always order a grilled chicken salad from there, but I just wasn't in the mood for that yesterday. I wanted something really good.

I looked at the menu and asked myself, if I didn't care about my health or losing weight, what would I order right now? I chose the pastrami sub with cheese and mayo. Then I asked myself, what is a good compromise? So I ordered pastrami on rye, no mayo. I ate half the sandwich. It was good, it scratched the itch I had for something savory, and I was well within (200 below) my calories for the day.

I have been on too many diets and depended on perfection to see weight loss. Whenever I wasn't perfect, I fell off the wagon. If I really wanted something bad, I would go so far overboard that it was nearly impossible to get back to healthy eating. Now, if I have a real craving, I find a way to responsibly make it work. That's the only way I can have a shot with this long term.

2 comments:

Alison... said...

I cahn't believe you had something slightly sinful... GOOD!

It's about time...

Glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with a treat every now and again. I am NOT smoking, yet again, if I go a month, I am getting myself some thing nice as a treat