Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Can vs. Can't

Why do some of us like to spend so much energy trying to determine why we can't do something, rather than just finding an easy solution of why we can?

I see this phenomenon in the workplace often, but I also see it in healthy living journeys. I read many many weight loss blogs every day, some of friends, many of strangers...I like to see what challenges I can anticipate, what makes other people tick, pitfalls to avoid, etc... I see a can't theme emerging, and I do not think it is helpful.

I am a person who tends to look for reasons why I can do something, rather than why I can't. This was not always true of my healthy living (clearly), but in life, that is the way I am inclined. In fact, I'm glad I work with some of the can't people because they help to bring me out of the clouds when I'm ready to commit to something that is ridiculous.

I could come up with a thousand reasons why I can't follow the best practices of health within my lifestyle. You know how busy my schedule can be, you know that this has been a hard year for me since I have managed to catch every flu and pneumonia that passed by, etc..., but I have had to go to great lengths to find ways so that I can, rather than can't.

We all rationalize our behavior constantly. I'm the queen of rationalization. I could very easily rationalize why I can't do the things I need to, and it may be much easier than finding reasons I can. In the end, I'm only hurting myself, though, so that's not such a good idea.

My challenge for you, dear reader, is to listen to your inner voice, and the next time you quickly decide you can't - take a pause to consider how you actually can.

XO

3 comments:

Alison... said...

Can we build it?

YES WE CAN?

but you're right.

natch.

Anonymous said...

I CAN see you are correct. Oh my gosh it is catcy...lol

lanie said...

I can take a nap! I can take a nap!J.K.!!! How right you are!