Friday, April 11, 2008

Beachbound

The Darce's birthday is coming up on Monday, and we are headed to the beach for the weekend...good ol' Salisbury Beach... Alison's sister has been nice enough to loan us her beach house for the weekend. I think I reached the height of my optimism today as I packed stuff to swim in... We're expecting weather in the 40's, and it's early April...in New England!!!

This is downtown Salisbury...Christy's and Tripoli's and one of many arcades...It's like a permanent carnival moved into a town...or at least it was...


Salisbury is becoming yuppified now. It's much prettier, and it more and more resembles what I grew up knowing as a beach town. Sadly, I liked the way it was with all of it's cheesiness. If I want to visit a beautiful New England ocean town, I will go to the Cape or Maine. If I want silliness, I go to Salisbury. Where has the silliness gone? Money ruins everything.

I digress...

I'm not sure what I'll be eating while we're away. Tonight D wants to go out to eat at Hampton Beach. When she was growing up, her family vacationed there, so she misses it, even though it's very different now than it was when she was young.

I'd like to pick a place that overlooks the ocean. I miss the ocean! I'm sure if we go somewhere normal for dinner, I'll be able to find something healthy enough.

Tomorrow AM, I'm sure we'll go out for breakfast, and I'll get my "out for breakfast usual" of 2 eggs overeasy and one slice of dry rye (no butter). For lunch, we're going to Browns:

On their web site, they claim to be a truly unique place, and they are. It's one of those places you'd see on the food network because of it's character. Loud, messy, BYOB type of place (get the picture?)...but the food is GOOD. (From what people tell me - I'm not a seafood person.) Naturally, I checked out their menu online, and there is absolutely NOTHING healthy on it. I have no idea what I'll eat there, but it will be fun. Okay, I just checked again. They have lobster salad. That's fine, but I don't like it. Can I please have a lobster salad, minus the lobster?

Even though it's going to rain, we'll be hanging out downtown all day, and I know that the girls will want beach food for dinner: especially that beach pizza that Salisbury is famous for. Again, downtown, there is nothing healthy to eat - at all. I will probably have a slice or two of the pizza. I'll live. ;-)

I think the closest Planet Fitness is in Amesbury, so tomorrow AM when the Darce is sleeping, I'm going to get my work out in. I'm also hoping the rain won't be constant, because I'd like to go for a nice long walk on the beach. Fresh air, good exercise...sounds fun to me!

That's it for now!

KC

3 comments:

Alison... said...

man, this blog made me hungry!

I will have to have a tripoli's when I get to the beach!

lanie said...

Have a great time!!! We'll have to celebrate D's B-Day when you get back! Go for a walk in the rain, now that you're not made of sugar! You won't melt, well , hopefully! But you're still mighty sweet!

lanie said...

Probally to late...Ron's Beach house,or Ron's Landing as it's known by now,is really good and overlooks the ocean. They used to have a Sunday jazz brunch - It was fun if you like that sort of thing.