Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Yes, I'm self-diagnosing again



I know we ruled anemia out yesterday, but I'm ruling it back in. It occurred to me that the blood test results were from three weeks ago, and back then, I was eating much more iron than I've had lately. I ran a few reports on fitday.com, and I saw that three weeks ago, I was averaging between 50-60% of my daily recommended amount of iron. I'm at 20% for the past two weeks.

I've cut down on steak and eggs lately, both of which are iron rich, and I haven't been taking my supplement, so it's no wonder it's caught up with me.

Symptoms of iron-deficient anemia: extreme fatigue, pale complexion, temperature issues, shortness of breath...I have all of those symptoms, and I have a history of anemia, so I'm convinced that's my issue, coupled with the fact that my allergies have been terrible this week.

I'm going to live after all! I just need to continue taking my vitamins and iron, getting more iron rich foods into my diet, and monitoring my intake with my fitday reports more frequently. I also noticed that my calcium continues to be horridly low, so that's my next project. First things first.

Lastly, I'm supposed to average 50-70 grams of protein per day, and I've been at half that the past week, so I'm sure that's not helping any of this either. I can only take in so much food per day, so I need to make sure I'm thinking it through and making every bite count...also, I'm averaging 550 calories per day for the last week, and that's not good either. I'm going to step that up too.

I'm stepping up. Watch me go.

3 comments:

Alison... said...

Thank the Lord for those fit day reports huh?

;-)

Have a nice rare slab o steak tonight, you'll be fine by morning.

lanie said...

Sorry you're feeling crummy. Being anemic leaves you feeling drained and exhausted-you being the energizer bunny should never let those batteries run low-take your iron everyday! Would a lower dose (that might be more tolerable to your tummy) still be effective? Splurge on grass-fed beef. It's very medicinal and important for you particularly. Hope tommorrow finds you feeling much better!!!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully a few days off will help rejuvenate you!