Friday, July 11, 2008

My apathy toward food has vanished (Alternate title: Confessions of a food junky)



That was quick. I decided on Chinese. There's a better place than the one I was thinking of earlier. I had 1/2 of a wonton soup, 1/2 an egg roll, and a 1/2 a cup of chow mein. It was a nice little shmorgesboard. The wonton soup was delish, and the chow mein was the good kind with the fresher veggies and not the loaded down with sauce kind that's almost gelatinous.

I was home alone one day, years ago, and I ordered a pupu platter, crab rangoon, spare ribs on the bone, house rice and chicken chow mein just for ME! That's a little crazy. Obviously I couldn't eat it all, but my fat little head just had to order enough food as I would now order for 6-8 people. Back then, if you told me that amount of food was for 6-8 people, I would have panicked and made sure to order my own.

When ordering pizza, it's common to figure 2 slices per person. Some eat 3, some eat 1, etc... I used to figure 1 pizza for 2 people. When I would get breakfast at McDonald's, I would order 2 breakfast sandwiches and four hashbrowns. Nice! If Darcy and I were ordering pizza for the two of us, we'd get one large, one small, and breadsticks. That was my doing, not hers.

So today I ordered an order of egg rolls, a small wonton soup, and chicken chow mein. I will get four meals out of it, which is good, because if I ate all of that at once, it would be: 1050 calories and 36 grams of fat. Spread out over four meals, it's 262 calories and 9 grams of fat. It's suprising to think that meal has 1050 calories. Imagine if I calculated the calories and fat of the pupu platter and friends version! Oy.

Okay. I just did. It was 5,440 calories and 230 grams of fat. Sweet.

2 comments:

Alison... said...

I'm jealous over your small appetite.

Anonymous said...

Wow that is really eye opening. I have no idea how many calories I consumme. I fear I will freak out of i figure it out.