Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Beef is the new Salmon



Grass fed beef, that is. According to "The Omnivore's Dilemma," since we have now started breeding salmon in farms, feeding them grain, as it's cheaper and makes them grow quicker, we have drastically reduced the amount of Omega-3 fatty acids, while raising the amount of fat. Grass fed beef is rich with Omega-3s and low in fat, and side by side with grain fed salmon, it's a much healthier choice. Who knew?!

I always tell myself I'm going to force myself to eat salmon because it's so good for me, but if that's not really the case, fuggedaboudit. Wild salmon is still higher in omega-3's, so don't throw the salmon out completely! Just ask questions, read labels, and know that unless otherwise specified, your pink little darling was probably fed grains for its' short little life.

Last night Darcy and I went to see Hancock. It's the movie where Will Smith plays a superhero, who has gone astray (putting it mildly). It was cute. I'm easy, though. I had a late lunch, so I didn't eat dinner, and I was really hungry. I wanted movie theater popcorn BAD. I know last time I had it, it was too greasy for me, but I was thinking of getting it without butter, and I'm sure that would be an okay taste.

I couldn't bring myself to do it, though. Instead, I stopped at Target on the way, picked up some sugar free gum, and settled upon that. How boring! ;-) I also picked up some Zicam allergy nasal spray. My allergies have been really bad this week, and Claritan keeps making me sick to my stomach, so I'm hoping this homeopathic remedy will do the trick. It will be one less pill to swallow/get sick from. I used it last night and this morning, and so far, it seems to be working well!

I'm working in Boston today, suited up in the new linen suit. I wanted to avoid as much traffic as possible, so I left the house at 5:30, but it still took me about 90 minutes to get here. It should be a busy day, but I'm hoping to leave on time-ish, as I want to get to the gym tonight.

I'm feeling MUCH better since yesterday - thank you all for your well wishes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zicam and sugar free gum. Now that's a party! Woo Hoo!

Alison... said...

the steak in that picture looks glorious! I am going to have to try me some grass fed beef since I love beef and organic is so good for us...

You slay me with the gum...

The next time I'm at the movies and crave the popcorn, I will just get some nice gum - it'll hit the spot just as well, eh?

oy vey.

lanie said...

Yeah, it's a bummer what" they've" done to yet one more perfect food-ruined it!!! But anytime wild is available-I'm grabbin' it! So glad you're feeling better!