Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Goodbye


When I first moved to my current home in NH, it didn't take long for me to meet the neighbors. I think I've mentioned before that my neighbors are the most welcoming, friendly, helpful supportive group of neighbors you could ever dream of. I'm fairly useless in a lot of ways, but that's not a problem around here. Need a tree cut down? Done. Need your porch raised? Done. Need your shed moved? Done. Need your boat fixed? Done. I could go on and on, because they never cease to amaze me with their willingness to help and their generosity.

They quickly went from being my neighbors to being good friends, and from friends they have become family to me and Darcy. These are not people who will float in and out of my life, these are people I will know for a very long time.

I just received sad news that one of my dear neighbors has passed away. I didn't know Jack as well as I know many of my neighbors, but losing someone in our neighborhood truly feels like losing a loved one. We are a very tight knit group, and I only wish I knew Jack better. I only got to know Jack this year. He was one of the kindest and most genuine people I have ever met. Jack had the sweetest smile, and he really loved living on the water, as we all do. Jack just retired, and he bought a kayak this year. He often kayaked up the whole length of the water front, smiling and enjoying the peace of the water.

Jack was an engineer, and also certified as an electrician. He wanted to enjoy his retirement, and was thinking of letting his electrician certification expire. We ran into him while we were out and about one day, and Jimmy mentioned to him that we needed our hot tub wired. He seemed apprehensive to work on a hot tub (as many people seem to be), and he said he would at least take a look at it to help us know what we needed to have done. We told him it was no rush, and to stop by anytime.

It wasn't two hours later that Jack stopped by, examining our panel, reading through the hot tub manual... taking the time to explain to us the details of how everything works. I know he probably didn't want to get involved with the project, but he was too kind to say no. After he spent time with us at the house, he was going to do some research in his code books and get back to us. Unfortunately, he became ill shortly after that, but I have no doubt that if he hadn't, he would have helped us in any way he could have.

We didn't know Jack was really sick until the end of last week. Being the optimist that I am, I prayed for him, and I really believed he may pull through, despite news that indicated otherwise. Unfortunately, that was not to be. I know that it's better not to suffer, and so I'm glad that he did not have to suffer long, but I am going to miss him, and there will be quite a void in our community.

Once again, I am reminded of the frailty of life. I do live my life to the fullest, each day, and I do my best to have lots of joy and love in my life. I'm glad I am on track with my health. There are enough things that can creep up on you without giving your body extra obstacles.

I've been so busy that I haven't kayaked in a while, but I am going to today, as I reflect on the life ended too soon, but left a bright mark.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So True!! You never know when your numbers up.

Alison... said...

That was a very nice tribute!

lanie said...

So beautifully said.