Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Support Groups

We have our monthly lap band support group tonight. I didn't have it on my calendar, but I received an email reminder. To go or not to go... I spend a lot of time (probably too much time) participating in online support groups currently. I have learned a ton from these groups, and the members are encouraging and motivating.

Prior to surgery, the support group meetings were helpful. I learned something each time, even if it was just one or two things. After surgery, I didn't feel like I was learning much. Most of the questions were from pre-op patients, and they were the same questions, month after month. My MD started saying that unless you only wanted to lose 40-60 lbs, the lap band wasn't for you. That was frustrating for me to hear since I didn't believe it, and I'd already had the surgery with much more to lose than that, so I stopped going. I know he is a big proponent of gastric bypass over the band, but that doesn't mean I like to hear about it. :)

For the past few months, they have split up the pre-op group from the post-op group for the first part of the meeting, and I like that format better. I went to one of the meetings, and it was nice to be surrounded with people going through the same things I was going through. I was taken aback, however, at how gentle the advice was. I'm used to my online support groups that are full of tough love, and not too much tiptoeing around!

The cons of going tonight are: I have so much work to do, and I'll have to leave work earlier than planned, it will cut into my workout, I will have to find something to eat out which is never that fun/easy, I will have to drive close to Boston to get there and home to NH from there, which is not appealing with gas prices as they are and time as it is.

The pros of going are: I have made positive changes in my life, and I'm having great progress with the band, so I can probably help motivate people who are struggling. Also, I really like my MD, and I feel slightly guilty when I don't go. Who knows - I may even learn something!

I'm kind of leaning toward going, and I'm not sure why. I really wish I had planned ahead so that I could have had gym clothes and dinner with me. We shall see...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time you have to go to the meeting, have dinner with me. I am sure we have something low calorie in my house (maybe not) but we could buy something...lol. You are right down the street from me.

Kristen said...

I know! I skipped the meeting though. Way too much work to do, so I couldn't take the time for it. Next time I will!

Alison... said...

A couple of things:

1. were you calling me last night to see if I would go to the banders meeting? if so, sorry I didn't call you back but next time, leave a vm
2. I thought you were going to do a talk at one of the meetings, what happened to that?
3. You never feel guilty about anything but you feel guilty about missing a banders meeting when you've been to a thousand of them?????

You obviously don't need it for motivation and although I think you could be very motivating to someone else, there are enough big mouthes at those meetings who give their advice that you end up being polite, not speaking out loudly like them and saying very little although you have given input. There is so much more you could say so you should talk to Dr. Randall about doing your 'exersize is important for success talk', then you'd have the floor.

just sayin