Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Strange day...


I worked from home yesterday, in an attempt to keep my colleagues healthy, and I took a break midday to pass out some flyers in my neighborhood (for a neighborhood BBQ I'm hosting on Friday night as part of a membership drive for the lake association), and I drove down the road to an area near the trestle, and there were fire trucks, ambulances, police, marine patrol, a diving squad, news 9 and about 50 onlookers gathered around the boat launch.
.
Our friend Denis, who manages to *never* miss any piece of the action, was on his cell phone, reporting live to his friends and family. I parked my car, and I caught up with him to see what happened. This blog is public, and I don't want to fuel any rumors that are unfounded, so until the official reports are out, I will leave out the speculation, but what I do know is that a local 30 year old man entered the water, but no one saw him surface.
.
The first responders were on the scene at 12:50, and the divers went in with underwater cameras, etc, to find him. I arrived after 2PM, and it was just as they were finding him. He was towed out of the water, and he had passed away. It was very surreal, and I can't believe my timing. The officers were asking everyone to leave, and I was trying to explain to them that I was just down there to pass out flyers for the lake association... Who knew it would turn into all that. Very, very sad...
**************
Today I'm down another lb, for a total of 154 lbs lost, 1 lb away from losing Marcel/lo! I have to say, I feel like I've been in the 150's forever, and I'm anxious to get into the 160's. Let's hope I get there soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow who knew it was this easy to get rid of Marcel/lo...lol. It took you a few weeks, I still have him after all these years. You better find the next person' weight to lose. I preedict Marcel/lo will be gone by tomorrow.

Alison... said...

You've been in the 150s forever?

oysh, poor thing!

Congrats on another pound lost...

and that story is very very sad - although I didn't see anything on the Manch news last night, maybe today there will be more details.