Friday, August 15, 2008

Let them eat junk!


Even before I started my healthy living journey, I was never one to serve hot dogs and hamburgers at a BBQ. I'm not a snob; it just truly never occurred to me. I have probably hosted more than 100 cookouts in my adult life, and I only remember 2 times when hot dogs and hamburgers surfaced.
.
One was a labor day BBQ, 4 years ago. We were away in Northampton, MA all weekend, but we had invited people over for a BBQ. We got home just as folks were arriving, so I ordered hot dogs and hamburgers from a nearby restaurant.
.
The other time was the Memorial Day BBQ last year. Alison brought over...I want to say hundreds of hot dogs and hamburgers...although I know that must be an exaggeration. We were expecting a lot of people, so we supplemented the chicken and beef with hot dogs and hamburgers.
.
Today, I am hosting my first BBQ where hot dogs and hamburgers are the planned focus of the menu. We are having a BBQ as a kick off for a membership drive for the lake association, and I have absolutely no idea how many people are going to show up. I have 48 hot dogs and 20 burgers, as well as about 10 chicken patties ready to go. If we need more, we can run to the store. It's supposed to rain, however, so I'm not anticipating much.
.
As I was paying for my items at the grocery store last night, it occurred to me that I was buying an *entire* shopping cart full of items that I won't eat. It seems like such a waste..then part of me feels bad for serving food that I won't eat, but again, it's not like my guests don't eat this stuff... I wish I had the money to have a healthy BBQ, but it would have cost 5 times as much, no doubt...
.
I have a lot to do today before the BBQ, so I best get crack-a-lackin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and Darcy love to entertain!! I am sure it will be delicious!! Have fun feeding the masses.

Alison... said...

I have to admit that I indulged... in 1 hotdog... delish

Glad the BBQ was a huge success and if you had to feed all of them w/ steak and chicken - yooda gone broke.

Good job.