Monday, August 18, 2008

Michael Phelps

I need to step it up a bit. I'm pretty happy with myself if I eat healthy and workout regularly, but it's easy to let those things slide too. No, I don't want to compete in the olympics, but the thought of being in the shape of an olympian seems pretty awesome.
.
This kid started training at 7, I think. He was in the olympics for the first time at 15, and now at 23, he's set records that will probably remain for decades. At 23, I was working a cubicle job that was not at all challenging, and I was just all about having fun with my friends. I can't imagine being this driven.
.
I may be a late bloomer, though. ;-) Michael Phelps swims 2-5 hours, every single day. I know that's his job, but he's also a student, and he helps to coach his schools swim team as well. It's very admirable.
.
When I'm eating healthy and working out, I feel so much better and healthier. Even though I still have a good chunk of weight to lose, I don't feel like a fat load, and I have a good energy level. Since I've been sick, I've been eating okay. I haven't been going over my calories, since my first 2 day food bender (with the exception of one day since then), but I haven't been eating great either.
.
I haven't worked out because I still can't breathe, and I feel fat and gross. I'm not training for the olympics, but I can learn something from these athletes about making health a *constant* priority. That is something I could do better, and that is something I want to do better.

2 comments:

Alison... said...

Even though you haven't been able to work out because you literally can't breath, you're still eating well and losing so it's still all good... I'm sure you will get back into your work out routine soon.

Good work though!

Anonymous said...

I am sure you will win at least a bronze in something soon