Sunday, August 10, 2008

The road to recovery

I must be feeling better today, because all I want are fruits, vegetables, and other healthy things. The junk I ate the past two days has made my body feel gross. I don't know why being sick makes me want gross foods. It's not as though I go through life craving bad foods, but rejecting the urges to eat them with will power, I truly prefer to eat healthy. I'm not rewarding myself with a treat for being sick by eating bad foods - it's just that when I'm sick, it's the only time I really crave bad things.

I've made a practice of giving into my urges since I've been on this journey because that is what works for me. I know it wouldn't work for everyone. For me, every diet I ever had ended when I "fell off the wagon," and gave in to have something that was bad. I decided that in order to end that cycle, I shouldn't be on the wagon to begin with.

I eat healthy because I want to eat healthy, and I enjoy eating healthy. The rare times I crave something that is unhealthy, I have it, in moderation, and then I get back to my healthy eating. I think this is how the thin people do it, and it seems to work for me. These past two days, I just really wanted junk, and I had it.

I'm feeling better today (about 70%), and now all I want are healthy foods. I had a sugar free carnation instant breakfast for breakfast this morning because I know it's full of vitamins and nutrients, and it seemed like a bit of a cleanse from the foods I've been eating.

It's amazing how much more I can eat when I'm sick with the flu. I think it's largely because I'm eating softer foods that travel through the band easier than meats, but I also had an increased appetite for sure. On Friday, I consumed 1405 calories, and on Saturday I had 1770. Last week, even with those high days, I averaged 1100 calories per day, which is within my range. I'm not justifying that those two days were okay, because even if I ate 800 calories of junk food per day, that would be missing the point, it's just interesting how I can eat whatever I want for two days and still be within my target calorie range for the week.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'll make it to exercise today, but I will definitely be on the healthy eating bandwagon.

I'm up a few lbs today. I know that some of it is water weight, since I consumed a ton of sodium the past two days, but I probably put on some real weight too from sitting around, not exercising, and eating junk food. I know it will all be gone in a few days, and hopefully I'll be losing Marcel/lo this week!

2 comments:

Alison... said...

Glad you're on the mend!

Anonymous said...

Wow so close to losing Marcel/lo!!