Sunday, August 10, 2008

Grass fed pork

About 6 weeks ago, I went to my local organic foods market, and I purchased 2 frozen grass fed pork chops from a local farm. I didn't have time to cook them that day, and I put them in the freezer and forgot about them. I found them today when I was trying to determine what I needed to buy for groceries this week, and I thawed them out and made them for lunch, with my vegetable "fried" rice.

This was the first time I had ever had grass fed pork, and it was delicious. It doesn't even taste like the pork that you buy at the grocery store - the difference is even more dramatic than grain fed verses grass fed beef. The pork was so moist, tender and flavorful. When I buy pork chops at the grocery store, they are fed grains (which they too are not intended to eat), and they are loaded up with growth hormones and antibiotics, and tons of other chemicals, and they lose all flavor, and almost all nutritional value.

It costs a good bit more to buy locally grown grass fed meats, but the animals have a much healthier and happier existence, and they are so much better for you. It's unfortunate that in many cases, this kind of food is cost prohibitive, but I do think that if you can buy it in bulk, there is definitely a savings. I am in the market for a freezer for the garage, so that I can get some good deals from the local farms.

I still don't know where I've landed on the whole organic thing, but I think I really need to eat locally grown organic produce, and locally grown grass fed, free range meats...I'm still working through the grains, and I'm trying to drastically limit the amount of processed foods that I eat, but it is hard. I'm not fanatical, and I don't think it will kill me to have corn fed meats when I'm at someone's home or at a restaurant. I think that as long as the majority of the time, I'm eating the healthier meats, it will make a big difference in lowering my cholesterol, raising my omega-3 intake, and lowering the amount of unhealthy fats (and chemicals) that I'm consuming.

I encourage you to give these meats a try!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I feel the way about food shopping as you feel about the mall. I don't really know if I would make specila trip to find organic food when stop & shop is right up the street

Alison... said...

I would love to try the grass fed pork, sounds great. How much more expensive is it? The grass fed beef is just so much more expensive that I can't afford it on a regular basis, maybe pork isn't quite as expensive... A lot of grocery stores are now carrying organic stuff so I will have to check it out