Sunday, October 7, 2007

Carrot Soup

Okay, I have found my compromise. I will cook a homemade carrot soup today to satisfy my need to cook, as well as my need to change my palate. For this first week, I am allowed liquids, including creamy soups. I am making my carrot soup with cheddar cheese (fat free) to increase the protein. I'm not a fan of carrot soup in general, but my father makes a great carrot soup, so considering it is in my lineage, I assume mine will be great as well. ;-)



I have combined ideas from several recipes online, as well as in my head, to arrive at this formula for a carroty delight:



Edible Elements:


  • 2 tbsp smart balance light buttery spread
  • 1 lb carrots
  • 1 small onion
  • 6 tbsp chicken broth
  • 1 qt fat free lactaid milk
  • 2 cups fat free cheddar cheese
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1-2 tsp thyme
  • 1-2 tsp celery salt
  • 1-2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1-2 tsp onion salt
  • 1-2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 dash of cumin
  • a few sprinkles of ground sea salt

Boil the carrots in water. In a separate pan, melt the butter over a medium high heat, and stir in the onions, pureed. When the onions have reached a caramel hue, add in the seasonings, to your desire, as well as the chicken broth.

Blend the boiled carrots into a smooth consistency and combine with the onion mixture over a low heat.

Gradually stir in the milk, and stir occasionally over a low heat. Add additional seasonings as needed/desired.

Blend in 1-2 cups of cheese.

Serve warmed with fresh parsley sprig set atop.

Nutrition information: Yields 8 8oz servings: 115 cal/1g fat/12 g protein or for post op 4 oz portions: 58 cal/.5 g fat/ 6 g protein

Verdict? Delicious! Try the recipe, and let me know what you think!

Chef KC

1 comment:

Andria said...

Mmm... that sounds yummy especially for this time of year!