Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Yo, where the veggies at?

Darcy and I have been going out to eat more lately, as something to do that's outside of the house. With Darcy out of work and me working from home the majority of the time, it gets very boring seeing the same scenery...constantly! :)

There have been several times recently when I have ordered a meal that didn't come with a vegetable. In fact, I've noticed the majority of restaurant meals don't come with vegetables. I find this so strange. They are happy to load you up with potatoes or rice pilaf, but where are the green beans?

If a meal doesn't come with a vegetable, I usually order one on the side, most often salad because I love salad so much, or sometimes I will try to get a vegetable instead of the starch they are offering.

Were restaurateurs raised differently than I was? I never heard of a meal without a vegetable...especially if it's dinner. Isn't that a fairly common theme? I feel like in years past, the vegetable was a given, and now it's not anymore.

I wonder if restaurants stopped including them because they threw too many sides of gray broccoli out. Whatever the case, I'm going to start asking restaurants why a vegetable isn't standard with an entree. Hopefully, if enough people ask the same question, we will start seeing more of them on our dinner plates when dining out!

:)

2 comments:

Alison... said...

I never heard of a restaurant that doesn't offer a veggie w/ a meal - where have you been eating?

Glad you're including veggies despite the lack of a veggie...

Anonymous said...

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Do you know how many untouched veggies on the sides restaurants have thrown out because of me alone. I probably started this trend.

Notice they still offer desert...lol