Monday, December 29, 2008

The Last Supper

We had our last meal in DC last night. We went to The Front Page restaurant, and as you can see, I had their special, the prime rib. It was the best prime rib I have ever had. Normally, prime rib is good because it's a tender cut of meat, and the au jus completes it nicely, but I don't recall ever having a prime rib that was quite so flavorful as the one I had last night. It was seasoned perfectly and deliciously. Darcy enjoyed her pasta dish very much as well.

The prime rib was a 14 oz cut. At least a third of it was fat. (Gross) I ate about 4 oz of it, and probably about a half cup of the mashed potatoes. The waiter teased me about not doing a good job on it, and I told him it was huge! It's still funny for me to think of these things as huge. I could have polished away all 14 oz before, plus an appetizer, salad and all of the potatoes - easy.

I haven't had a fill in about four months. Right now, my level of restriction is what it will be when I have exhausted all of my fills, and I think it's going to be perfect for maintaining. I can definitely eat much more than I could have when I was getting fills regularly, but it's still less than the average sized people I know. It's not so small that it's annoying because I get full so fast I can never enjoy a meal, and it's not large enough so that I can do any amount of huge damage with my portions (as long as I don't try to trick the band, which some people do).

I'm going to schedule a fill, but I may wait until I'm back from Key West. I've gotten used to having this low restriction level, and I know I can stay within my calories as I am currently, so rather than being on vacation with a baby bird appetite, I may wait. We'll see. Either way, I'm going to get a fill in January. It will be nice to have the change, but I'm glad I've had this time to practice what life will be like when I am maintaining.

We are heading out shortly. The front desk folks told me my best bet heading north out of DC on a Monday AM would be 9 AM, so 9 AM it is. In all of our walking yesterday, I didn't see a single gas station. Strange. I will probably wait to find one in MD when we stop for a quick breakfast to go. I can't wait to return to my home cooked meals. We bought a few books on CDs last night, so that should help this last leg of our journey go as quickly as possible. We are 475 miles from home. Mapquest says that's 9 hrs with no stops. I'm going to try to make it in 7, with stops included. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Alison... said...

OMG, that prime rib looks so good cept it looks like it has gravy on it and not au jus - which would be so wrong!

Is that the actual prime rib that you ordered or is that a picture from the WWW?

Can you tell I'm obsessed with food?

oysh

Kristen said...

Not my actual prime rib, no.