Friday, October 10, 2008

Whatcha eatin'?

I remember the good ol' days when I had to struggle to get 700 calories in per day - 1000 seemed over the top. Now 1000 seems just right for me. I average just under 1000 calories per day, I get plenty of protein in (usually 60-70 grams), I'm doing better than most (but not as good as I'm supposed to) on fiber, averaging 17 grams/day, and I definitely keep my fat intake at an appropriate level. I'm comfortable in this zone, yet I find myself feeling guilty that I'm eating 1000 calories/day.

I realize that's crazy, but I was used to eating so much less, and I've been on such a plateau, I'm thinking I'm eating too much, but I know in my head that's crazy. I'm in a good zone. I am getting more fiber in now that I'm eating 1000 calories/day, and I'm getting more calcium in too, as planned. I could probably go back to 700 calories/day, but I would be cutting out things my body needs.

I need to find another way to get over the hump without reducing my calorie intake. I wonder if I can get a shot for my knee. I don't mind exercising and dealing with the pain - my only concern is that it will get worse. I haven't heard from the orthopedic surgeon's office yet. I'm calling my MD as we speak to follow up. Okay! I have an appt for next Friday. They could have even seen me on Weds or Thurs, but I had conflicts. That was easy!

I can't wait to exercise again - let's hope I'm up and running (literally) before it's too cold!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes 1000 calories is probably just right for you. You will begin losing weight soon enough. If excercising is a challenge, why don't you try water ballet.

Kitty said...

Have you ever looked into Synvisc? (http://synvisc.com/) It's targeted mostly for arthritis relief but maybe you would benefit from it. I had my left knee done last year and I did notice a difference. I'm going to have it done again soon and then have my right knee done. Check it out...

Alison... said...

No wonder you asked me about if I am using fitday...

I think that living life on 1000 is insane and impossible but if it works for you, that's great. I don't think it's a good idea to go back to 700 cuz your body will adjust and forget that!

I think you need to resign yourself to the idea that you will be on a plateau until you can go back to exercising.

:(