Monday, October 20, 2008

Hot Yoga

Hot yoga is also referred to as Bikram yoga, named for its' originator Bikram Choudury. The class room is heated to 105 degrees, and the classes last 90 minutes in length. I found a studio right near my house that is run by Bickram's neice, and she learned from him directly, so that's pretty cool.

The thought of being in a room with sweaty strangers, is a bit gross to me, but I'm hoping it's not as bad as I'm imagining. They do not have beginner classes, because each class is supposed to be fine for beginners, so that's a bit intimidating. I'd like to drag Darcy along, but I'm worried she'll overheat with her high blood pressure. We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know people that love it. I have never heard it referred to as hot yoga. But people swear that Bikram Yoga melts away the pounds. Good Luck!

Alison... said...

90 minutes of yoga in 105 degrees?

I know I'm negative and a cynic but that sounds like nothing but PURE TORTURE!

Darcy would over heat in the 1st 15 seconds.

and how can 90 minutes of anything but OK for beginners?

They sound like idiots there

Don't go