Friday, October 10, 2008

Local and Fresh

I'm so glad I found a new way to eat. It's so much better and healthier. I don't mind spending more money, because if you are going to value quality, shouldn't you first start with the things you are putting into your body? I'm not just saying that because I can afford to. I have put myself on a very strict budget, and I only have $50 allocated for groceries this week.

I'm going to buy bananas, milk, salad, steak tips, fresh veggies (TBD), pickles, celery and tuna. Even though I will buy all of this at the local market, it should come to about $34. I'll have $16 left over if something comes up. I already have plenty of foods in the freezer, so I just need a few fillers.

Stonyfield farm is located in Londonderry, NH, down the road from me. I buy their rBGH free milk and yogurt. It tastes so much better than the milk and yogurt I used to eat. Okay, I hate yogurt, but I can tell it's better. I was raised on 1% and then skim milk, and I was used to milk tasting like water. I thought I liked that, but now that my fat free milk actually tastes like milk, and not in a gross whole milk fatty way, I realize what I was missing all along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

$34 for a week of groceries? Maybe if you are Kate Moss. I didn't see anything allocated for M&M's or Fritos'

Alison... said...

wow, that's quite a budget!