Thursday, October 29, 2009

I am the biggest loser


Yesterday, we had a *great* workout.  First, our trainer started us off with weight trainings for arms (and boy, are they throbbing today!), and then we did kickboxing.  I overexerted, and my knee was really sore by the end of the work out.

We got home at 6, had *delicious* chicken tacos (will post more on that later), and we settled in to watch the Biggest Loser, taped from the night before.  I think the show is ridiculous and irresponsible, as I've said before, but I still like to see how hard they push the contestants, because it makes me think that I can work out just as hard.

In that line, they were showing this very fit contestant jumping up onto a high platform.  It was *really* impressive.  I decided that I should try jumping on my ottoman, even though my knee was sore.  I thought - if that guy can jump onto a 3 foot platform (without a running start), I should be able to jump up on my 1 foot high ottoman.

Of course, I was already exhausted from my workout, but I just had to try.  I jumped up with all my might, and at the last minute, while I was up in the air, I chickened out, and put my knees underneath my body and my whole weight landed on my knees as I landed, kneeling, on the ottoman.  LOL - Darcy couldn't fathom what had possessed me to land on my knees like that, even when I explained to her that I had chickened out.

I heard a nice crunch, and obviously, I hurt my knee even more, which is why I am truly, the biggest LOSER.  I should have iced it, but it didn't even occur to me.  We went in the hot tub last night, so that was heaven for our sore muscles.

The good news is, I don't think I did anything majorly wrong to my knee.  It's stiff and sore today, but I have a feeling it is going to heal just fine by tomorrow or Saturday (hopefully by Saturday because we're focusing on legs!).

I have *no* idea when I'm going to fit my work out in today.  I realize that I can take a day off, but I really don't want to.  At the very least, since my body is in pain, I want to do swimming.  It's a great cardio workout if you push yourself constantly, and I do.  It's also very low impact on the joints.  I may even swim without using my injured leg tonight.

I have a very busy work day, followed by a hair appt at 5:15, and sometime after that and before 7, I think I'm going to see Brooke briefly, who is home for a weekend visit, and then I have to watch a movie for school so that I can write a paper that's due tomorrow, plus a bunch of other homework.

If Brooke isn't able to meet me between 6-7, that's when I'll work out, but if she is, then I'm thinking I'll head to the pool at 7, be home by 8, watch the movie from 8-10 and write the paper while I'm watching it, as well as doing the other homework while the movie is on.  It can work.

I've been trying to be in bed by 10 so that I can get the rest I need to be healthy and energized.  It's hard to do, but it seems to be working.  I just need to figure out when in the world I'm fitting dinner in to all of this.  Brooke is meeting other friends for dinner at 7:30, so I can't do dinner with her, although that would be quite convenient!

I think I'll have to get home by 4:40 - change, eat an early dinner from 4:50-5:10 and then be at the hairdressers for 5:15. 

TJ commented recently that he can't believe how much planning goes into this dieting thing.  LOL.  No kidding!!!  That's why when I had all the success, I had to make losing weight my top priority, and when I wasn't able to, I stopped losing.

I'm hoping that maintaining won't be quite so much work, but that's a long ways off!

Today I was down 4 lbs from yesterday, so I'm down 9 lbs total since last Wednesday. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok if you watched the Biggest Loser steadily you would have seen that they gradually work their way uo to jumping on that 3 ft platform. they started much smaller. Additionally, the contestant you referenced is a firefighter so i assume he was at least in reasonable shape even though he had gained weight. I had the mental image of you doing this and was laughing.


Four additional pounds in one day is crazy. YAY!!!

I am glad you are enjoying your workouts. You are inspiring me to shake things up with my own workout. I am contemplating taking a class.

Alison... said...

that was a loser move but God luv you for your enthusiasm.

Keep up the good work but be kind to your knee, OK?

xo