Friday, October 23, 2009

Bring it on

(Sorry - I work out of a different office on Fridays, and for some reason, this computer doesn't load blogger properly, so I can't add pictures or do anything fancy. Today's picture would have been a really cool one of a very muscular guy, horizontal with one leg extended toward a punching bag. It was a kickboxing photo for those of you in the cheap seats.)

I searched online for an experienced personal trainer, and I also looked for kickboxing classes - I heard they are an amazing cardiovascular work out. As luck would have it, I found a personal trainer who specializes in kickboxing and martial arts, and she does weight loss and cardio training as well.

I met with her last night, and I signed me and Darcy up for lessons starting tomorrow morning! I can already tell this is going to be more worthwhile than my last personal trainer experience. We start off by doing a fitness analysis - she'll see how many crunches, push ups, pull ups (maybe) that we can do, how fast we can run, and just get an overall idea of where we are physically.

After the physical assessment, we will start our first workout. I think this is going to be fun. They also teach martial arts at this gym, so we'll see how kickboxing goes, but I'm thinking I'd like to try karate next. For me, it's highly important to change up my workouts. I can never be one to go on a treadmill every single day, but I am willing to find ways to burn the same amount of calories (or hopefully much more) by changing it up and doing things that are fun for me.

She will give us workouts to do between our 2x/week sessions with her as well, and she's asked us to bring in our food logs for the past few days. I know she's going to tell me I need to eat more, but the last time I added to my calories because my trainer and weight watchers told me to, I gained all this weight, so I'm not inclined to listen to that kind of advice...I'll keep an open mind.

Yesterday I was at about 850 calories for the day. I felt hungry after my swimming, so I had a pickle, a few sugar free pop ice bars (10 calories each) and some tea. It took the edge off...certainly not fun food, though. :) I won't even let myself have the weight watchers treats right now, because I'm cutting out all empty calories.

I know I can't keep this up forever, and I may have one day a week when I let myself have empty calories (not to exceed a certain amount), but I want to make sure I'm on the right track first.

It's Friday night tonight - usually we go out for dinner or hang out with friends, maybe take in a movie (with a popcorn), but it's not an active night for me...that's for sure. Tonight we are going out for sushi with the girls, and I've asked them to go to the arcade after. I'm hoping to do some pedestal jousting, laser tag, rock wall climbing, etc... I'll get my workout in before dinner, but I'm just trying to incorporate as many active things as I can into my life to develop a more active lifestyle...I type with my knee tapping... :)

For tonight's workout, it will just be a boring date with the treadmill, but if my knee is cooperating, I may start off with the elliptical. OOoh.. fun. :) It's okay - I can look forward to my butt kicking kickboxing workout tomorrow AM while I'm bored to tears on the hamster wheel. :)

4 comments:

Alison... said...

Very motivational blog entry - I feel inspired and energetic just reading it!

Thank you.

and great that you got a new and experienced personal trainer. Can wait to hear about the great results.

Great work, I'm proud of you.

Anonymous said...

I think kick boxing not only sounds fun and like a high calroc burning activity, BUT, also could be a good form of self defense. Great job remaining committed to staying active.

The hampster wheel is boring, BUT, if you bring a good book (hardcovers work best), then you can read while marching and it makes the time go by much faster.

Kristen said...

I know that books and tv shows can help, but when I watch them, I move slower, so they aren't allowed in my workouts anymore. Only circuit music. LOL - seriously.

Alison... said...

I agree with KC... watching TV or reading slows me down on the tread. When I go to the fitness center at my apartment, I never turn the TV on, I am sure to bring the Ipod... it helps!

But whatever works for you!