Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tomato Cream Sauce


I picked up some all natural, fresh tri-colored tortellini at the store the other day. Tonight I decided to make a low fat tomato cream sauce to serve over it.
I was making it up as I went, so I can't tell you how much of everything I used exactly, but here's my best guestimate:
  • 2 cups fat free milk
  • 3 tbsp EVOO
  • 1/4 cup of water (I used water that my fresh mozz. balls were floating in)
  • 1 tsp fresh minced garlic
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • salt
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1 cup of diced tomatoes
  • 5 broken up leaves of fresh basil
  • 3 tbsp low fat butter
  • tbsp parmesan cheese

It has some fat in the recipe of course, but for a cream sauce, it's light, and Darcy agreed - you'd never know it was made with fat free milk and low fat butter. We loved it, and it's the first time I've tried making a low fat cream sauce, but it was well worth it. It probably only took 12 minutes from start to finish.

Mangia.

2 comments:

Alison... said...

Wow, looks so good -

Hungry!

Anonymous said...

I hate to steal your thunder, but last night I had lipton noodle soup and garnished it with the extra large cheez its. It was also delish and much less work...lol