Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hummus?...Yummus!!

How I managed to forget to eat Hummus during this entire healthy eating journey is beyond me!

I was on the phone with my dear mother this afternoon, and she mentioned that my cousin Kara was going out for Hummus for lunch (we have very exciting conversations!) and it reminded me that I've been wanting to have more legumes in my diet, and this is the only source of them that I actually enjoy!

I told my Mom I'd call her right back, and I called the Darce who was at the store, and I had her pick up some whole grain pitas and some Joseph's Onion and Gahlic (not a typo - New England accent so D would know what I was referring to) Hummus. Right on.

For lunch today, I had a 1/2 of a 6 inch whole grain pita with hummus and cucumber slices with minced garlic, and it was fantastic! What a nice treat, and it was so filling! (150 calories, 3 grams of fat, 4 grams of protein - don't worry - I get plenty of protein - 4 g's of fiber)

4 comments:

Alison... said...

what are legumes?

Kristen said...

Wikipedia:
A legume is a plant in the family Fabaceae (or Leguminosae), or a fruit of these plants. A legume fruit is a simple dry fruit which develops from a simple carpel and usually dehisces (opens along a seam) on two sides. A common name for this type of fruit is a "pod", although pod is also applied to a few other fruit types. Well-known legumes include alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, lupins and peanuts. A peanut is not a nut in the botanical sense; a peanut is an indehiscent legume, that is, one whose pod does not split open on its own.

Anonymous said...

OK let's go shopping! Diesal are out, lucky are in, but if you want my opinion do not waste so much money on jeans, buy some Calvins or Levi's and take the big bucks and spend them on work clothes. Thanks for clearing up the Krissy mystery! You are doing so awesome!

Alison... said...

why do we need them?