Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Myowhat?

I had nerve/muscle testing done last week because of all the problems I was having with my arm, and it turns out I have a condition called myotonia. I have a mild case, and I will be fine, but apparently, anesthesia can cause malignant hyperthermia in patients with myotonia. Malignant hyperthermia raises the body's temperature as high as 110 degrees, and it can often be fatal, apparently.

There are many new drugs available now for the anesthesiologist to choose from, so by letting the MD know I have myotonia, I can greatly reduce the odds of having a severe reaction. I am going to ask if they will give me an epidural instead. I would gladly watch my own operation on a monitor, if I had the option. I have a high tolerance for that kind of thing... I don't know if they will allow it, but it would solve this dilemma, and also much of my PCPs concern regarding the anemia.

Boy, I am violating HIPAA all over the place now. Good thing I'm only talking about myself!

The (possibly) worst part of all of this, is that it is strongly recommended that I wear a Medic Alert bracelet/necklace to warn healthcare workers that I am prone to malignant hyperthermia, should I ever be injured and incapacitated. These items are tacky! I know you can have your own made by a jeweler, but if you buy the actual Medic Alert (www.medicalert.org) products, there is a number that a hospital can call to get additional information regarding your condition. That sounds like a good thing.

More nerve/muscle testing for me at 1:30 today. The electrophysiologist (I may have made that title up) wants to complete additional testing prior to my meeting with the anesthesiologist so that he knows as much as possible about my condition. This testing should be recommended for torture in war zones (JK Li'l W), because it is so terrible. I'm not one to complain, but this is not fun, so wish me luck!

I will update Y'all later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bettis, without a Super Bowl ring, ending his career in
his home town, yada, yada, yada. Lawler (6-3,
185) is expected to go with Oregon State. This time there's only five picks covered,
but there was a total of 130 players worth mentioning with those five picks.
The Belles featured Ember Reign, Val Killmoore, Fiend Club and Mad Malice as jammers in the first half.
They serve lunch and dinner during their normal hours, which are:
Sunday & Monday: 11:00 A. The young actress and singer appeared in the movie Romeo Must Die and recorded a hit
single for the movie (Try Again). One, known as " El Tintero," is a large
stone structure built in the shape of an inverted
cone, a real challenge to the laws of gravity, since the diameter of its
top is much larger than that of its bottom.

Here is my page ... microsoft playtest gratuity list 2014