Sunday, March 29, 2009

Rice Cheese



Just say no. Trust me.

I've been trying some dairy alternatives lately, and Darcy brought these home from the store. I made us breakfast sandwiches this morning, and I thought it would be a good time to try out the cheese amidst the other ingredients. I even cooked up some center cut bacon (2 points for 2 slices) to give it more of a chance.

As soon as I unwrapped the slice from the cellophane, I knew something was wrong. It smelled...not like cheese, but a little sweet and possibly like old milk gone bad. I thought maybe it would taste better than it smelled, or that the bacon and egg and bread would drown out the flavor, and it would just be there to trick me into thinking I was having cheese.

Wrong! Oh, so very wrong. LOL

It was nasty. Thankfully, I was able to scrape it off the sandwich, no harm done. I asked Darcy to try it, and she was horrified. The remaining slices swiftly made their way to the trash.

I went online, and I read reviews of the rice cheese, and they weren't bad! I don't get it, but I guess if I were vegan and I wanted to avoid processed soy, I would be glad there was something out there...I guess...

I was a vegetarian for 2 weeks. I tried. Not really, but I didn't eat meat or foods that contained meat or meat byproducts for 2 weeks. It was probably 8 or 9 years ago. I remember all the meat substitutes I tried during those 2 weeks. I hated them all, which is why I only lasted 2 weeks. It's too bad because I kind of like the idea of having a veggie based diet, but I just don't think I'll ever be able to pull it off.

Besides, I feel much better about eating meats when they are grass fed/free range/antibiotic free/etc...

4 comments:

Alison... said...

If you say it's disgusting, I can't even IMAGINE how truly disgusting it is since you're pretty open minded about things not to mention there are a lot of low whatever things that you think tastes like the real thing... and they just don't most of the time.

The title sounded like you were goinhg to describe some yummy recipe... obv not

:(

Kristen said...

No, that would be cheesy rice - YUM!! An altogether different experience from rice cheese. ;-) Sorry to disappoint, but can I please have that for lunch??

Anonymous said...

Did the name not give you a clue. It's like diet soda, you just knopw it won't be any good

Kristen said...

lol

darcy bought the rice cheese - i don't think i ever would have tried it on my own. soy is as far as i'll go. :)