Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bikram Yoga Update

I've blogged about Bikram Yoga before...it's a type of yoga developed in LA that holds classes in a room heated to 105 degrees with 40% humidity. The classes last 90 minutes, and involve just 26 postures, pictured above.

Brooke has started doing yoga recently, and she asked me if I wanted to go to Bikram yoga with her. I said I'd love to, because I've been wanting to go. I figured I could try it out, and just leave during the session if it was too much for me. I just went to the web site for Manchester Bikram yoga, and they said they are very strict about not allowing people to leave during a session unless it's an emergency.

If I have to do the entire 90 minutes, I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I'm going to do some yoga DVDs at home to warm up to yoga again, and then I'll go. I did all of the above poses today (as best as possible), and some of them were super hard...others impossible.

I know they say they accept beginners and people of all different fitness levels, but I just don't know how that's possible. Tonight when I'm done work, I'm going to do some yoga and get this ball rolling!

4 comments:

Alison... said...

I am a little surprised that they have such a strict rule about leaving but I suppose if they didn't, a lot of people would leave since it does sound a bit grueling.

I get it why it's 90 minutes since I am sure anyone doing it would get unbelievable benefits doing that for a long period of time but I wonder why there aren't any 45-60minute classes? 90 minutes in such exteme heat seems... well... extreme.

I am sure the benefit is great though for sure.

You will have to let us know how Brooke likes it.

And I'm sure you will work your way up to attending in no time.

Anonymous said...

I think it sounds awesome and would go with you if it was local. Even if you can't do something, you can wait until the next pose. I think it is great and going to help you become more limber.

Thank you for getting rid of the cornbeef picture, it was causing me trauma

Alison... said...

LOL - the corn beef picture was making me hungry!

Anonymous said...

Juicy can tell you the best locall in the room for comfort-and she has left the room. When you're ready, let me connect you with Maeghan. She'll give you tips , and will tell you it's really ok to leave if need be. Usually, most just sit and rest though. With 90 minutes of heat those muscle really warm up and allow for much more flexibilty. Maeghan (and jen) say most people can not do the full poses-only some form of them or none at all. It's all about your own self improvement. Some day, after you guinea pig for me, I'll try it to! Good Luck!