Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Adult ADD


I think I have it...for real...I think I probably had it when I was a kid too, but it didn't matter because I was fortunate to have school type things come easily to me. I am incapable of doing one thing at once. Even as I type this blog, I'm opening up several different internet explorer windows to do other things while I do this. That can't be productive.
.
I'm a high functioning ADD-er, but I'm an ADD-er nonetheless. I can only complete tasks if I am doing several at once. I'm inclined to think that it would be impossible for me to start a task and complete it without doing several others during it. I can't say that for sure, however, because it's something I've probably never tried.
.
I have all these activities orbiting me at any point in time, and I just keep the plates spinning, so to speak, so that they don't fall. Today, I'm in the middle of registering for spring classes, incorporating my business (registering as LLC, filing for Tax ID, etc...), joining a number of business organizations, planning for the speaking engagement at the end of the month, making travel arrangements, doing consulting work for 2 different organizations, reviewing logos and business cards for my business, and working on articles...and it's only 11 AM. I've been juggling all of that in the first few hours of the day...my head is spinning.
.
I'm going to try something new. I'm going to make a list, and rather than jumping around, and doing several items at once, I'm going to go in order and not move to the next item until I complete the first one. That thought is causing me anxiety, but I think I have to try it. I can only imagine I'll be that much more effective if I can have some order in the way I plan my day.
I know that I'm trying to do too much at once. That is a given, but that's not going to change anytime soon. It's a lot to get a business off the ground, and I'm not going to find success by having a healthy life balance right now, but I need to do my best to try to.
.
Working out keeps getting last place on my list. Working out doesn't make me money, and working out doesn't grow my business. Hence, last place. I don't want that to be the case, but I'm not sure how else to not let that happen...unless I put working out on my list, and not the last thing, but maybe in the top three. Then if I go in order of the list, when I hit working out, I'll just have to...that may work.
.
I'm going to try it.

4 comments:

Alison... said...

Well I am a low functioning adult ADDer and I think lists are good things. I try to make one each day but I have trouble sticking to it - Hello... meds.

But reading about your multi tasking morning shook my brain loose from my skull, are ya kiddin me?

You need more than a list, you need a whoa Nelly! button

Oy vey

Anonymous said...

You forget to add on your list that you made a quaker get a cell phone.

I can only do one task at a time. Working out cannot slip to the bottom of your list, just make it a daily priority. Your health is tantamount to any success.

Anonymous said...

Today's list=1. get out of bed,2 eat breakfast, 3 go to gym,4 come home and do steps 5 thru 87!

Carmen said...

uh hello, of course you have ADD! I still recall your request for a secretary when we were working at good ol' C-1 because you had so many other things going on you were getting distracted by the phone ringing! wasn't answering the phone like a fundamental part of our job description??..hahaha.. you were the ONLY reason I even stayed working there for 11 months, you and your ADD are definitely entertaining to observe first hand. BTW thanks for the minolo help...I seriously couldn't remember and I didn't want to get it wrong! LOL