Friday, January 23, 2009

Welcome home

Talk about one extreme to another - we came from the beautiful beaches of Florida to the snow crusted north. I can't imagine what we would do without our wonderful friends and neighbors. Our cat would have been so lonely, our pipes would have frozen, and we never would have been able to park in the driveway when we came home last night.

Stephanie and Carolyn were kind enough to visit with Miller and clean up after him (which is no small task) while we were away.

Bruno and Krissy made sure our driveway was plowed after each storm, and they even shoveled the walkway and steps for us, and cleared off Darcy's car and moved it so they could plow!

Jimmy sensed our pipes might freeze in the cold, so he came to our house and checked all the running water. As it turns out, the pipe to the downstairs toilet did freeze, so Jimmy went under the house into the crawl space and checked it out. He decided to run a heater downstairs, facing it toward the frozen pipe, in the hopes that it wouldn't burst. We had the heat on, but it was just THAT cold in NH while we were away.

Jimmy came to check on the pipes and the heater it seems like every day, and the pipes would have burst if it wasn't for his efforts.

I also want to thank Darcy's parents for taking us to and from the airport, and letting me store my car down near them, and making sure it started every few days, clearing the snow off, and even filling the washer fluid!

We are so lucky to have such wonderful people in our lives. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

***
I don't appear to have gained any weight while I was away, so that was a small miracle. I made good choices most of the time, and I was active, but you never know because I don't trust the way restaurants prepare their food. I'm bloated, but other than that, everything is pretty good! I had a nice grapefruit for breakfast, a nod to my tropical trip, and hopefully Darcy will be back from the grocery store in time for me to make turkey burgers for lunch.

4 comments:

Alison... said...

You have good friends and good karma, so there you go!

You were very careful to make healthy food choices and even when you didn't make the best choice, you kept your portions low while on vaca... that coupled with all the walking you did after fatty left resulted in no gain.

Good work!

Anonymous said...

I am even depressed by your before and after scenery pictures and I never left the cold...lol.

Yay for not gaining weight. I am sure teh joging and cosntact walking did the trick

Anonymous said...

Am I dyslexic????

Carmen said...

sometimes I too miss the cold snowy weather. Getting to bundle up and turn on a heater...and then I remember all that junk that comes along with it...ie..shoveling things and scraping things...and all of a sudden I am content once again here in the bay area where we get a little rain from time to time but mostly 70 some odd degree weather.

So glad you had a great vacation. I was out in Colorado at the beginning of January and thought of you because they have that 5 guys pizza place in Fort Collins and as I passed it at 10 in the morning I thought perhaps I should stop to give in a whirl, then I realized it was 10 in the morning. Guess I'll have to try it out next time!