Thursday, January 8, 2009

Good Kitty


I had lunch with my friend Kitty today. It was *so* good to see her. We had a great time catching up. Kitty has been on a weight loss journey for quite sometime, like me, and I have enjoyed keeping track of her progress, and learning from her journey.
.
We were talking about Oprah, and her Best Life week of shows this week, and I told her I caught her show on Monday about her weight loss. Oprah talked about how she couldn't believe she was still talking about losing weight. She thought she had it down by now, after all these years!
.
Kitty and I both identified with that line of thinking. There have been so many times along the many weight loss journeys I have traveled, when I thought this time, I had it. I had finally overcome my challenges.
.
The truth is, just like someone who struggles with alcoholism or nicotene addiction, my weight will be a challenge for me for the rest of my life. While that thought is challenging to embrace, there's also some peace with it. I accept that keeping off the extra lbs is something that I will have to work toward for the rest of my life.
.
I know that at any point, I can regain everything I've lost if I'm not very careful. The longer I go with positive eating/healthy living habits, the easier it will be for me to stay on track, but I will always need to stay on track. I cannot take the loss of one lb for granted. Each one was hard to lose, and harder to keep off.
.
Like Oprah, I could easily wake up a few years from now, facing the fact that I gained back all my weight, or half my weight. It could happen to any of us who have had to lose weight.
You better settle in, because I'll probably be blogging about this forever. ;-)
.
Honestly, if blogging keeps me accountable, I'll never stop. I don't expect you all to keep reading it when you're 74, though, but maybe I'll start giving out prizes to keep you interested. LOL
.
Hang in there. There is no easy answer, and the sooner we accept the reality and full weight of the challenges in our lives, the sooner we can confront them and no longer allow them to have control over us.

5 comments:

Kitty said...

you're fabulous! can't wait to do it again!! love the picture...

Carmen said...

I did the age factor thing and it said 23.8...it so doesn't count though because I didn't know my blood pressure or cholesterol levels, sooo my goal after I pop out this new little guy is to get back in shape by having a physical and getting legitimate readings so I can use that site again and find out what the real deal is. You are so good at helping to inspire me to be accountable for my health. Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

As a "former" nicotine addict, I get it!! But life wouldn't be any fun if we all didn't have some hurdles to over come!!

Alison... said...

I'll keep reading the blog until I'm 74

Keep up the good work and keep inspiring others, it's what you're best at.

Kristen said...

Leave it to Carmen to be 23.8. That's awesome!!!

You are all so supportive and awesome - thank you so much!!