Thursday, February 5, 2009

Milk

We saw Milk last night. It was *so* good. Sean Penn has really blossomed into quite the actor. Honestly, though, what were they thinking with those hairstyles in the 70's??!! :)

The movie started with Harvey turning 40 and realizing he needed a change. He hadn't done anything he was proud of in his life. Boy, did that change.

I've often thought about running for political office, but I'm jaded into thinking you never get anywhere without making so many compromises that your original mission is gone and you are owned by your backers. Maybe that's a cynical thought, but I just haven't seen proof of anything else. Who knows. I may just give it a whirl someday. I care enough about stuff. :) I have enough passion...that is for sure...

I would never be able to consider a political career if I weighed what I used to. I would prefer to be in top shape before even attempting to take that on. I think a healthy image projects a healthy person. That's not always true, but it doesn't mean that's not the perception.

Big people have to work twice as hard to be respected in the workplace, or other areas, because people just assume they are lazy and not of the same value as thin, healthy people. It's not fair, but it's true. It's easier (and healthier) to just lose the weight than to change perceptions. Society doesn't really like the overweight folks...you better be funny and full of self deprecating humor, or else you'll be cast aside.

I want to give myself every opportunity to live the most fulfilling and impactful life I can, and I know I need to be in shape and healthy to do that.

Unfortunately, I ate popcorn at the movies last night, and I feel sick today. I'm also up a few lbs (natch), but I know it's from the sodium. It will be gone tomorrow.

I didn't sleep well last night, and I feel a bit ill today, so I'm not sure that I'll make it to the gym yet again. My back is better than it was at the beginning of the week, so it's looking good for tomorrow, and we have plans to go XC skiing again this weekend, which I'm *really* looking forward to!

Have a healthy day, and drink your milk! ;-)

4 comments:

lanie said...

Popcorns' the new poutine! lol

Kristen said...

LOL

Sooo true!!!

Alison... said...

You'll run for office some day, I know you will - you've wanted to for too long and you can and will make a difference in the world.

You'll win of course.

No doubt in my mind.

Anonymous said...

Running for office, If Jane hathaway can do it so can you!!

I want to see Milk