Monday, September 21, 2009

60 steps

Alison blogged last week how she is on the 3rd floor, and each day she has to climb 27 steps to get to her office. My building has an elevator, and ever since I hurt my knee, I have been taking it, but today, I decided to take the stairs. There are 20 steps from the parking lot to my office, and then another 40 from the first floor to the third floor, so I climbed 60 steps on my way into work today.

It's not a miracle, but it's a start. My knees seemed just fine. I was slightly winded, but I'm not surprised since I haven't done any major cardio in a while, and my asthma has been bad with the allergies lately. Slightly winded, we can live with.

Yesterday I didn't do great with the healthy eating, by any stretch of the imagination. We went out for a delicious lunch, and I had grilled bread (infused with fresh garlic), dipped in a gorgonzola sauce, poor man's pie (kind of like shepherds pie, only with steak instead of ground beef, and a whole medley of earthy veggies, instead of just corn, and the gravy baked in, oh, and on top of the layer of mashed potatoes was melted cheese. (Yum!)

We went to the movies, and I had a small popcorn, and at night, I made chicken dinner with smashed potatoes and homemade gravy. The potatoes were made light, but not the gravy.

Well, it wasn't a day of resounding success for my diet, but it certainly was a delicious day. :) Also, I can use the chicken dinner for leftovers and just skip the gravy, so we're good there.

We stopped at a farmer's market yesterday, and I picked up a ton of fresh veggies that I'm looking forward to making this week!

Today, for my workout, I am planning to go hiking. Can't wait.

PS - Happy Birthday, Mom!!! I love you! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I am verey winded with my asthma as well. You are allowed to indulge once in a while an dlet's face it, it will probably be on the weekends anyway.

60 stairs is great!!

Unknown said...

60 steps? Yikes, I wouldn't like that... 27 steps winds me still.

I was still eating the movie popcorn last night watching TV [yes, I took 1/2 the bag home as leftovers!]

Fatty!

Back on track today.

Kristen said...

LOL - you took the bag with you? I missed that somehow. That's wiiicked funny. I remember when Paul, our developmentally challenged neighbor in Chelmsford, took the movie theater popcorn home with him, and I thought it was hilarious...and there you go doing the same thing. haha

Alison... said...

Ya, I figured you missed it otherwise you would have said something. the bag got a bunch of things in my purse greasy.

I still have more popcorn at home and I can't bring myself to toss it since it's so darn delish.