Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tales from the City...

We got a recommendation for a breakfast place from the hotel, and we were off to find it. I had heard of the restaurant in a magazine I'd read of local cuisine, and I was excited to learn it was in walking distance of the hotel.

The directions we were given were a bit off, and we ended up seeing a bit of the city on our way...no complaints here!


The people here are sure nice! We were trying to find the restaurant we were looking for, and we ran into a man in the street who we asked for help. He told us we were a ways off, and asked us if we wanted a ride. Why not. I know that's crazy, but he seemed nice enough, and there were three of us.

We walked down the block with him, and he brought us to his ride:

So we had our own personal bus delivery to our restaurant! How funny! He was so nice. We tipped him, but he really didn't even want the money!

Darcy ordered the silver dollar pancakes. They were so cute (and yummy!):


I ordered corned beef hash, and 2 eggs with dry toast. I didn't like the hash, so I didn't eat it. I'm not going to waste calories if it's not good, unless it's good for me! I wasn't really hungry anyway, I had one piece of toast and a little bit of the eggs, but now, of course, I'm starting to get hungry!
We went for a nice walk after, and TJ took a picture of me and Darce in front of this sculpture:


I noticed the sculpture was called "Breaking the Chains." Here is some information I found on it at: http://www.viva-city.info/archive/walk_0904.htm
“ Breaking the Chains,” created by Melvin Edwards in 1993, was directly inspired by Martin Luther King, Jr.’s provocative quote, “Along the way of life, someone must have the sense enough and morality enough to cut off the chain of hate. This can only be done by projecting the ethic of love to the center of our lives.” Edwards hopes his memorial will “remind viewers of the great human struggle and creative accomplishments of which we are all part.” Shiny stainless steel shapes lean against each other for support while a metallic chain creeps up one side of the artwork. The chain is broken open at the top, symbolizing a termination of the brutal shackles of hatred. Strokes on the metallic circle next to the broken chain convey the idea of fireworks, erupting in patterns over the circle’s face.

Here is a picture of our hotel from a few blocks away:
This VW bug was painted by a bunch of local kids a few years ago, as an art project. I thought it was neat.


As we were walking after breakfast, I couldn't help but thinking how nice it is to be a person who can just walk through a city I'm visiting. I know it's not a big thing to most people, but when you can't do it, and suddenly can, it's a huge deal. I'm still grateful every time I notice a way my life has been enriched by living a healthier life.
Okay - I'm off to the pool now!




2 comments:

Alison... said...

Wow, you had quite an adventure! Sounds like the people in San Diego are so nice!

The pancakes look so yummy! OMG... hungry...

Did TJ cringe when you ordered you know what hash.

hehe

have fun at the pool.

jealous...

:)

Anonymous said...

She actually asked my permission tpo order the dreaded cornbeefed hash. HOW FUNNY. I am sure my powers of dislike somehow transferred to her. She had an urge to watch reality tv and go shopping right after breakfast.